It's my birthday on Saturday, wahooo for a celebration (another year older, boohoo). It's a well know thing that having a December (or January) birthday is pretty sucky. Both myself and my best friend have our birthday exactly a month from each other and it's been something that we've moaned about for many years now! So what makes a December birthday so sucky? Lets discuss.......
1. Do I want a join present. This hasn't happened for a few years as I think my nearest dearest know my answer. Thankyou very much but no, my birthday is my birthday and Christmas is Christmas, 2 unrelated occasions. The sentiment is nice, it really is but please don't ever ask me this question (and I mean this in the nicest way possible!).
2. I book a meal for my birthday.....if I can get a table where I'd like to go due to all the Christmas parties booked in. Do I want the festive menu? No I bl*ody don't, every time I book my birthday meal I have to make a point to say that I'd like the a la carte and not the festive menu and if all I get offered is the festive choice then you've lost my business I'm afraid.......some of us were born in December, arghhh!
3. My birthday usually clashes with the works Christmas do, I can count at least 5 that I have missed because I want to celebrate my birthday with friends, so annoying!
4. I'm certain that people will moan, it's sooo near Christmas, it's more expense.....it's not my fault that I'm a December baby though and to be fair my birthday hasn't changed in the last 31 years so plenty of time to get used to it!
5. It's easy for a December birthday to be over shadowed by the festivities and I admit, sometimes I get drawn along with it. When I was younger it used to upset me that my birthday became part of a Christmas celebration now being older I'm not as fussed but it is nice to have them separate if possible.
6. Wrapping my present in Christmas paper.....haha. Come on, it's not hard to buy some nice, non Christmassy paper.....this one is a bit tongue in cheek, I'm not that bothered about the paper but it is nice for it not to be covered in holly!
7. My husband moans. I mean he moans alot in general but come this time of year I get in the ear that he's got to buy for my birthday and then Christmas. Pfffttttttt!!
8. Post takes forever. All of a sudden the post goes at snail pace and my cards often arrive a few days late getting snagged up in the Christmas mail. I then have a mixture of birthday and Christmas cards around the house so my birthday cards never stay up very long.
This is of course written slightly in jest, yes it is annoying at times to have a December birthday but really as long as people don't try and confuse the 2 I'm ok with that, I@ve had 30 odd years to get used to the fact!
Any other December birthdays here? If so what, if anything, annoys you about it?