Anyone who has weaned a small child will know that it is a messy, messy business. There is no way that you can expect a toddler that is learning all about food, experimenting with different tastes and textures to be clean and tidy. It just doesn't happen. Over the course of 2 children I can't tell you the amount of feeding aids, utensils and varying other food related items I have purchased to try and see if anything helps with the weaning journey. I have never been successful with bowls and plates that promise to suction in place and not be chucked on the floor, it can be quite the challenge and every time my kids have managed to unstick them and lob them on the floor!
Step up the EasyMat from Tots R Us. At first I have to admit to being dubious, was this another silicone mat that promises to stick but then come unstuck within minutes and ends up on the floor like all the others........
You can purchase the EasyMat through Amazon for £19.99 although it currently retails for £14.99, they are available in a choice of 3 colours (lime green, pink and blue).......naturally I chose the pink. The plates are also supplied with a soft silicone spoon (which I love!). On first impressions I really liked it, I love the happy face design, it's ever so cute and the spoon and actual silicone mat feel a lovely quality, really soft and smooth. It's also a pretty decent size, it just about fits Elarna's high chair (Mamas and Papas Liquorice) and once she stops using her highchair tray it will be really handy to use on the table.
As you can see from the pictures Elarna was very excited to test it out! This was before that I had actually suctioned it down as you can see that the suckers are upwards and not adhered yet. The EasyMat promises unmatched steadiness and no more thrown bowls/plates. They also advise that it's easy to clean and and offers durability using well manufactured silicone which is FDA approved.
So what do we love about it?
- It looks fab, the happy face is cute and the pink colour is so pretty.
- The size, it's such a generous size and the depth of the sections is excellent meaning that plenty of food can be put into it.
- The spoon. It's a really good spoon, Elarna has found it really easy to use as you can see, it was easy to grip and food stayed on it well.
- It washes well. There has been no staining and it looks fresh and new even after several washes.
- We are going to use it alot, when Elarna is older this will continue being used on the table at mealtimes.
- Elarna likes it, she's an independent little girl and she is starting to want to use a spoon herself and she seemed to really enjoy being able to visualise her food and pick and choose what she wanted from the mat.
- It's very robust.
What weren't we so keen on?
- Well it didn't stick as well as I'd hoped but I think this is due to it not quite fitting onto our high chair. Plus my daughter is feisty and she was determined to get it off the tray! When I used it on a normal table it stuck much better and it was more difficult to prise off.
- The price, if I was being picky! I don't think I would want to part with £19.99 for it, £14.99 is much more reasonable and I could justify this as long as we used it every day.
- It is a little awkward to store, although it is suggested to stick it to the inside of the cupboard door - I tried this but my cupboard then didn't want to close so I opted to roll it instead which works much better.
Overall we have really liked using the EasyMat, it's been a welcome addition to our feeding utensils and Elarna really loves it as it does help her with independence. We will continue to use it as she gets older and because it is made of silicone it's easy to transport should we wish to take it away or on holiday with us.
As mentioned above you can purchase the EasyMat from Amazon for £14.99. The lovely folks from Tots R Us are offering Beautiful Things readers a fabulous 20% off ( please use code S849TWZX ) so there is no better time to purchase your EasyMat.
Have you heard of EasyMat? Would you give it a go?
* Please note this is a collaborative post and we were provided an EasyMat free of charge in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.