I got thinking about the beauty essentials that I just couldn't live without. Becoming a Mummy I haven't changed my beauty regime I've just learnt how to do it really, really quickly! Occasionally it does mean I have one half of my hair straightened and the other half gets sorted an hour later, but make up wise I'm rarely seen without at least a tinted moisturiser, a nude eyeshadow, eyeliner and bronzer/highlighter. To some this might seem extreme and ditch the make up altogether after having a baby, but the first few days home with Alfie I needed some normality, I needed to be me.
These are my essentials.
1. Kerastase Resistance Ciment Thermique I cannot praise this product enough. I swear by it, especially as I straighten my hair daily and use hair dye regularly. It's a must. I use a 10p sized blob and run it through damp hair. It works by strengthening the internal fibres of the hair and protecting the surface. The result is (in my hair) shiny, stronger, heat protected hair. Although it costs around £15+ it lasts for a very long time.
2. Tigi Headrush Shine Spray I've been using this product for years and love it. It smells amazing, is so lightweight and creates a lovely shine. I use it before using my straighteners without fail to get added shine and heat protection. Available widely for around £8 and one bottle goes a long way.
3. Wella Silvikrin Hairspray (natural hold) I don't often use hairspray, but when I do I use this one as I find it gives a lightweight, natural and lasting hold. I also think it smells nicer than some of the others that are available.
4. Where would I be without my beloved GHD's ? I love my straighteners and I've been loyal to this brand for years. I think they are amazing, especially now you can curl with them (however there is a knack to this!). The GHD's you can see in this picture are the 'pink orchid' variety, although the ceramic plates are really more purple than pink!
5. Dove Deodorant - Original What can I say about this?It's a deodorant, It does what I want it to do! Effective protection, fresh smell and lasts for a decent amount of time, definitely one of my essentials as a Mummy!
6. Nivea Cleansing Wipes (gentle) As much as I like to cleanse, tone and moisturise sometimes I just don't have the time (but remember cleansing, toning & moisturising is the best routine for amazing skin). These wipes are so handy and alot more travel friendly than packing bottles of lotions and potions. Definitely a Mummy must!
7. Nivea Creme I've always got a tub of this handy, it's a classic. It's quite a thick consistency to apply but I find if I use it overnight on my hands or on dry areas, in the morning they're really moisturised.
8. Clarins Beauty Flash Balm This is an award winning , best selling product which I love. I use it under my foundation to make my skin more radiant or on its own if my skin needs a boost. It helps smooth the appearance of my skin and makes it look alot fresher. It's great but for £28 I use it sparingly.
9. Kiehl's Lip Balm & Carmex Lip Balm (cherry) Lip balms, lip balms, lip balms. My ultimate beauty essential. I cannot be without my lip balms. I have hundreds around the house and in my bags, I'm always using them. I picked these two as personal favourites. Kiehl's is spf15 and is also lightly tinted and Carmex (cherry) makes your lips tingle on application and it really moisturises well.
10. I love perfume, particularly Ellie Saab. I always like to smell nice (who doesn't!). I discovered Ellie Saab a year ago and it's a gorgeous scent. It's fresh and zesty, I think it's got a really unique scent. I love the bottle design too :-)
11. Clarins Eyeliner I love a dark kohl eyeliner and this is my favourite. It applies like a dream and comes with a smudger for the perfect smokey eye, quick and easy to apply in a rush.
12. E.L.F Mineral Infused Mascara I've just discovered this and for only £3.75 I'm impressed. This gives a really nice coverage, not cloggy or clumpy at all. I do find I need 2 coats for a decent effect but overall great. I couldn't live without a mascara, I think it really picks tired eyes up (assuming you've used a decent concealer!).
13. Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick (rose) This award winning highlighter is the best (in my opinion). I've used alot of highlighters over the last few years and this is the ultimate. Not only can you use each of the different strips of colours as eye shadows but the highlighting glow it provides is gorgeous. I use it on my cheeks and decolletage It's shimmery loveliness.
14. Last but not least and not strictly beauty but lifestyle instead. I believe every Mummy should have a White Company Candle in their life. After I've put Alfie to bed I like nothing better than to light a candle and relax. This candle is called Verveine and has a light citrusy scent, it's lovely.
Helly's Top Tips: Super quick Mummy makeup: concealer, tinted moisturiser, a quick brush of powder to seal, some nude eyeshadow, eyeliner, a lick of mascara and a quick brush of highlighter or bronzer to the cheeks for a brighter complexion. This shouldn't take longer than 5 minutes.
Anyone else got any good tips?